#1 29-08-2022 05:25:24

upamfva
Membre

Smart Tweezers are Cunningly Clever

Smart Tweezers are Cunningly Clever

I must admit that I'm blown away when I think of the test and measurement equipment that's available to electronics engineers these days. I'm not talking about high-end, eye-wateringly expensive tools like multi-channel gigahertz oscilloscopes and logic analyzers that are available primarily for professional engineers working for big companies. Instead, I'm thinking of the sorts of tools that are much more affordable and are of interest to students, hobbyists, and professional engineers alike.Get more news about tweezer test leads,you can vist our website!

The first piece of test equipment I owned was a simple continuity tester I built when I was about 14 years old. This was a low-cost construction project from an electronics hobbyist magazine. If you placed your two probes on the opposite ends of a conductor like a piece of wire or a copper trace on a circuit board, it buzzed in a way that could either be described as "cheerful" or "annoying" depending on who you were talking to (me or my long-suffering mother).

Of course, I added to my collection of test and measurement tools as the years went by. I can’t imagine being more than a few feet away from a multimeter, for example (I even carry a "travelling multimeter" in my backpack, "just in case").

A couple of years ago, one of my friends introduced me to the small component testers that are available on eBay. At that time, these testers were about $20, which seemed like a really good deal, but I just had a quick Google and found an All-in-1 LCR Component Tester for just $9.99 with free shipping.
Let's start with lead through-hole (LTH) ceramic capacitors, which are one of the banes of my life. Why, Oh why, cannot the manufacturers color code these little rascals like they do their resistor cousins. Attempting to decode the markings on some of today's capacitor packages is like trying to read Martian hieroglyphics.

Happily, my trusty component tester resolves any problems. If I want to know the capacitance value of one of these little scamps, like the blue capacitor shown in the image above, I simply pop it into the zero insertion force (ZIF) socket and press the test button. The tester works out which pins I'm using in the socket, identifies the type of component, measures its characteristics, and presents the results on its display screen.

To be honest, this tester would be worth the money if all it did was test ceramic capacitors, but it does so much more. In addition to evaluating resistors, capacitors, and inductors, the tester also works with diodes, NPN and PNP bipolar junction transistors (BJTs), N-channel and P-channel MOSFETs and JFETs, and thyristors. This is obviously not a lab-grade instrument, but it can be an invaluable addition to anyone's tool chest.

#2 06-01-2024 15:34:49

Pied de page des forums